Wednesday, December 29, 2004

across the universe

During practice today I set my intention towards the 10s of 1000s in SE Asia who've been struck by such great tragedy - that in some way I might be able to send light their way. I felt grace move through me, and as we om'd at the end and the instructor (Scott at Yoga Vida, quite good) asked us to send our prayers eastward I felt that they really were being sent.

I feel as though I take for granted so much the protection that I have by virtue of birthplace. Nearly 100,000 are dead in one fell swoop and I can't begin to understand the magnitude. We lose it when hurricanes strike Florida or the East Coast. Life is sacred and this is not to discount in any way those who've lost their life in American hurricanes, it's just to note that we have, I have -- no real concept of the massive destruction. I can watch CNN, I can repeat the numbers, but it all washes over me as if it didn't really happen because it didn't happen here.

I believe that we are all connected and that nothing affects that number of people w/out affecting all of us, and so I know that on a cellular level I understand the pain, but I am not really conscious of it. And for that, I am sad.

My heart, thoughts, and prayers go to those families in need. May they find solace.

No comments: