Sunday, March 05, 2006

Breaking news! The apple corer was a horrible investment. As it turns out, I actually enjoy slicing apples the old fashioned way, and plus the coring part on the apple corer device is way too narrow. I think the fit model was a pygmy.

***

Today it got up to a downright balmy 46 degrees. I know I'm hurting for material when I'm talking about the weather (umm, and apple corers), but allow me, please, since this has been a big focal point for me in the last almost SIX months. Anyways, it's a well known fact that Bostonians are mental. (I'd have used the term for Cambridge-folk, which I think is "Canterbridgians" or something equally odd, but since I can't remember, I'm forced to generalize.) Case in point, my friend Bob, who was wearing a short-sleeved tshirt outside today b/c it was "so warm". Yep, warm -- if you're an Eskimo. I did manage to walk to the park today but had to retreat as the wind showed me who was boss. I'm told that by April it should get in the 50s and since I'll be gone on a couple of trips this month, I should be able to make it till then.

***

Repeatedly lately I've been asked by different students in the studios here when I'm going to start teaching. Since they don't know that I taught in Austin for a couple of years, it always feels like a strange question. The simple answer would be "I don't know", and yet for some reason I always feel compelled to say "well I am a teacher - I just don't teach here". And by some reason I mean ego. I guess I don't really know the answer, and, at least consciously, I'm no longer worried about it. When I moved here I was so convinced that I had to teach at the studios and avoided opportunities at other studios b/c they weren't where I'd envisioned teaching. And then when I was asked to assist instead of teaching I went into a head trip about that, but eventually accepted it as part of my process. And in the several months I've been assisting I've dropped teaching at the studios as a goal and never think about it except when students ask about it. I guess I'm a little bit bugged b/c for a split moment I don't feel like I'm measuring up to someone else's expectations, or that what I'm contributing is not enough. Sometimes I want to answer, "I'm doing the best I can", but the back-story that's playing in my head is not appropriate for a question that is meant as a compliment. I'm sure the diagnosis is perfectly clear to someone on the outside, so I'm considering submitting this to Dear Brutal Truth for sage advice. Shameful self-promotion strikes again.

***

Lastly, I'd like to thank my three hour nap today for keeping me up at 1:45 in the morning on a school night.

No comments: