Tuesday, November 28, 2006

the nature of secrets

Last night I had this super scary dream in which I was surrounded by gargoyles and demons. Nice huh? And then I "woke up" from my dream and right next to my bed was this gargoyle. I was scared because I was judgin' that book by its cover and they're not exactly pretty. I cried for Jesus like a little girl.

This morning I looked up gargoyles (deep secrets and shame) and demons (life out of control) on this website and it didn't quite fit but it did get me thinking about secrets. Maybe I should've been thinking about shame but I treat shame like anger when it comes up: Oh hey, you again. Make yourself at home. So I started thinking about how there are easy secrets (e.g. dating someone you work with) and the not-so-easy secrets (the kind you don't tell anyone b/c it stings) and I wonder, are secrets like lies? If you commit to being honest does a secret count? What about if you don't lie about the secret but instead you just keep it? Does that nullify honesty? Are secrets like shackles? Is there a way to keep a secret and be free too?

That's what I've got.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Good blog. I wonder if it depends on how big the secret is as to whether or not you can keep it and be free. And on who you tell. Do you have to tell everyone your secrets? If you have a secret that hurt someone else, you probably won't be free until you fess up to that person. Telling someone else about it might help you in some ways, but not in the one way that would really matter. Other than that, I have no idea.

vanessa said...

good points. but, can anything outside of the self absolve? or give closure? if it/he/she can, then they can also take it away. or a) is that not true and b) if it is true do secrets not follow that rule?

Angela said...

Or is it really all that complicated??? Of course it is, especially when it comes to secrets.

Anonymous said...

40 Days to Personal Revolution, p. 230

vanessa said...

Right on... Thanks for the reminder.

Joseph said...

Good questions, Vanessa. Is omission the same as dishonesty? But if it is, everyone has secrets. Hmm... That's one to think about for a bit...