Wednesday, March 12, 2008

sxsw vol 9, day 1

Hi. I thought I'd blog my way thru sxsw this year b/c NOW I get why blogging and music go together like chocolate wafers and vanilla cream filling. At this moment I'm on the plane from Dallas. I'm oddly happy to be in Texas. The flight is chock full o' skinny jeans and long bangs. Here are my new converse cause yeah, I'm tat girl. More later. P.s. Blogging on phone blows bc my 'h' key sticks.
***
I'm here in line to get my wristband. The computers are down so it's 100 people long. I'm having fun though - like when I pretend I'm at Emo's w/ a beer in my hand.
***
And now I actually am. Havis, me, Lo, Lance n Alo. Just saw longwave. Now we're about to see Delta Spirit. I forgot my earplugs. There's been a no smoking ordinance in Austin for almost 2 yrs but you wouldn't know it. More importantly, you'll be happy to know that Alo and I are reprising DBT for the event. If for no other reason than we need a centralized location to air our err,share our picks.
***
Just got out of the Delorean show at Maggie Mae's. They rocked. After two hits of deep alterna I needs me some fast beats. I talked to the lead singer and the drummer. Damn them - no day shows going to MX tomorrow. On to Autolux...
***
I'm standing in line outside Buffalo Billiards - a place I've seen many great sxsw shows (Natural History, Soundteam) - to see Duke Spirit. This is the part about this event that sucks it. You wait forever to a hyped show, hoping to get in and then if you don't you move on to 2nd or 3rd choices. In years past cool doormen would always go like 3:1 badge:wristbands but apparently all the decent ones have retired. No secret - I've bashed the badgies forever (not you, Lo- never you) and this year I'm inclined to do the same. I hate you punk ass badgies who are like "Oh who's this band? Never heard of 'em but let's go!" Am I bitter much? Yeah...It's 1 a.m. now so if not Duke Spirit then home. P.S. Autolux not my bag. I shoulda figured but thought maybe live would be different.
***
I'm in. And there's a ton of space. I waited in line forever - they're late coming on - and the doormen made such a big deal about no wristbands. I get up here and I can walk straight to the front. Wtf, mate? I can't believe I'm actually complaining about getting in. Yay they just finished the last of the three songs I'd hoped to hear. There's 10 mins left in their set but I'd say that's a night.

1 comment:

Angela said...

http://www.eonline.com/on/shows/popfiction/