Sunday, February 21, 2010

Less than a month

  • Plane ticket:  check
  • Wristband:  check
  • Giddy, child-like excitement:  check
SXSW, y'all!  It's less than a month away.  This is my very favorite time of year.  I spend the preceding weeks listening to music ad nauseam and cleansing, kind of, since the Wednesday - Sunday a.m. stretch can be a toxic blur.  (In the best possible way.) 

So far, I'm excited that The Generationals are playing a day show on Thursday at Home Slice.  And, I'm crossing my fingers that The XX are playing either a day show or after-party (and that I can get in to that) since I have a No La Zona Rosa policy and that's where they're currently scheduled to play on Friday night.  

Awesome like a kitten!

***

This week for my weekly creative date (as part of the Artist's Way) I made homemade vanilla extract.  It's super easy, except that you have to have a lot of patience.  Like, two months worth.  Here's how it goes.
Step 1.  Gather ingredients:
  • 1 vanilla bean (I love this store The Spice Station in Silverlake)
  • 2 oz. vodka (use a decent vodka)
  • Glass container













Step 2.  Slice the vanilla bean in half, then cut into 1/2" pieces.  Place them into the container.  Add vodka.   Take a shot for yourself.  (Just kidding.)  Seal.  Let it sit for one - two months, shaking occasionally.  












Step 3.  Add a label 'cause it's fun.  
I added a little homemade label using a random sticker I found around the house and an old business card. 










1 comment:

A-Lo said...

Just a snarky comment - you went to bed every night at 10 and missed The Generationals because you were getting your hair did.

I'm just sayin... ;-)