Sunday, May 21, 2006

haste makes waste

Several months ago I adapted a personal resolve that when noticing the presence of ego in decisions, conversations, life, etc., to go in the opposite direction. Sounds great, and has had a fine effect, except that ego is a wily creature. As it turns out, the greater difficulty lie not in defying ego, but in merely identifying the rascal. In fact, I'm much better at with hindsight. :-)
On Thursday we had an official Online Yogi meeting. Many inspiring ideas and noble intentions were discussed and proposed. Previously, the role that Dan had discussed with me involved me helping with software manipulation for the purposes of modelling asana around body types/ailments. Yet, a project manager by trade, I knew that the unbridled enthusiasm of this call required some good old fashioned structure -- I mean, where were the business requirements?! Had the scope been defined? What were the boundaries?
I set forth in giving the project what I thought it needed -- process. I recanted the objectives of the project that I had heard, and then some of the business requirements, and then functional requirements that had been mentioned. I felt so pleased with myself. Dan, the business owner, and my friend, is an ardent supporter of collaborative consciousness and so he is open to people contributing what they can. So, at the end of the call, several of us expressed interest in how we could help. I offered to write the initial scope document, including business requirements. In my mind, I'd already envisioned this document, and then writing the functional requirements, use cases, and project plan, thereby saving the day for a product that I couldn't see getting off the ground without these basic project management cornerstones. Oh, I was smug.
And hiding behind my right-ness, was my ego. I assumed that the project was broken. I am a fervent believer in the importance of project management, but humility should not be sacrificed for its cause. It dawned on me as I was going to yoga that while I was busy "knowing", I had ceased being a servant -- a role that I believe every project manager should fill. I had prescribed an elixir w/out even knowing if my services were truly wanted. I had stopped listening.
I don't have resolution yet though it is my intention to talk to my friend about my hastiness and see if they really would like my help.

No comments: